1 a dense clusters of flowers or foliage; "a head of cauliflower"; "a head of lettuce" [syn: head]
- A densely clustered inflorescence or seedhead, composed of a large number of individual flowers or seeds.
- The head-like mouthpart apparatus of a tick, including the palpi, mandibles, and hypostome.
- entomology obsolete The enlarged end of a proboscis.
- A small protuberance on a bone which articulates into another bone to form a ball-and-socket joint.
The term Capitulum can refer to several things:
- In botany, a type of flower head where the bracts are located under the basis, such as a Daisy's
- In anatomy, the Capitulum of the humerus
- The Latin word for a Chapter
- In entomology, a structure similar to an elaiosome found on the eggs of some species of stick insects, like the genus Bacteria, which encourages ants to pick them up and carry them away. The ants bury the eggs, where they are less likely to be parasitized by wasps
- A typographic symbol which has now evolved into the pilcrow